Monday, December 1, 2008

Goodbye, Thanksgiving...Hello, Christmas!

There is nothing like going home to the familiar tastes of the Saunders' Thanksgiving feast. I'm sure most of you think your family feast is #1 but you would be wrong. My dad's homemade rolls are the best and store bought pies have no place at our table. If that is the way you celebrate, I'm sorry. It's most likely because you don't know any better or maybe as my brother-in-law constantly reminds us, we ARE food snobs. But I have had Thanksgivings far from home before and although they are memorable (Thanksgiving duck in Taiwan, dinner in Germany at Epcot) they don't quite measure up. One year I even had someone try to serve me corn from a can...the nerve!

Matt and I headed up to Cache Valley on thursday to spend the holiday with my family. After the meal and some pie it was off to the movies. I don't know what it is about going to movies on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it has become a tradition and I love it. We saw "Four Christmases." It was pretty good. A typical Christmas movie but who doesn't love Vince Vaughn? We spent Friday at my sister Nikki's house and another movie, "Australia," followed that evening. I highly recommend this one...a western with action, romance, and Hugh Jackman's abs can't go wrong. The movie also included a little Judy Garland, which for me made it all the more special. I won't tell you more than that...go out and see it yourself. Saturday included more family time and dinner with one of my dearest friends and her husband.

We got back yesterday afternoon and now I am in the process of beautifying the home for Christmas. I got the lights on the balcony up and the tree dancing with lights. The rest will have to wait until tomorrow. Matt doesn't seem to get too excited about this holiday, so it has been all me doing the decorating. But he won't be able to be married to me long before he starts to catch a little bit of Christmas cheer. If I don't have him convinced by 2015, I may have to result to extreme measures.

5 comments:

Kristin Sokol said...

give him a little bit of xanaex and see if he doesn't find a little Christmas cheer.

Give him some time, he just hasn't experienced what it is like to have Christmas with a woman before. It's better. Especially when Santa has help from a naughty little elf like you. Men like that too. (Sorry momma Saunders)

Chris and Tiffiney said...

I thought you might enjoy the Judy Garland segments of Australia. I wanted to tell you, but didn't want to give anything away. Oh and I also feel bad for everyone else's sad Thanksgiving feasts…
-Chris

Unknown said...

This is crap, I still hate Christmas!

Unknown said...

Bah Humbug!!

Daisie said...

I agree with the great tradition of Movies on Thanksgiving and Christmas, although I adore my girls, I am sad to be missing out on that tradition! I will just live vicariously through you!! Good luck converting Matt!! Love ya!