Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Anniversary Catch-Up

So since you faithfully read our blog you should already know that we celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary just over 2 weeks ago. But what you don't know is how we celebrated. So I'm about to fill you in...We left the family reunion (see below) on Saturday and instead of driving home like everyone else we decided to spend an extra night in Colorado to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Loving to visit new places I discovered a quaint little town called Glenwood Springs. They brag about having the largest hot springs pool in the country, and maybe even the world, so I thought that sounded like a fun place to go. After doing some research I found a great hotel, that accepts pets, and booked us a king bed suite complete with whirlpool and fireplace. Didn't think we would need the fireplace for warmth but it might add to the mood. Wink, wink! When we went to check in the inappropriately dressed, not-so-customer-friendly lady at the desk informed us that the room type we were booked for did NOT accept pets. The conversation went something like this:

"You are booked for a king bed suite but we don't allow pets in those rooms." (This was said with a bit of disgust while she eyed Kingston.)

"Oh, when I booked the room online there was no mention that only certain rooms allowed pets."

"We only accept pets in our ground floor rooms and we are all out of those."

"Since I have a reservation and that was not clear could you put us somewhere else?"

"We have other rooms available but they don't accept pets. I can put you in one of those but the dog is not allowed."

"What do you expect me to do with my dog?" ("Imbecile," this part was silent but I thought it)

At this point her manager who had a little bit more sense than she did informed her that there was an available room we could use, with Kingston. We made sure he peed on the carpet. Just once.

Once we had the room situation figured out Matt and I headed out to dinner. We found a delicious little Mexican restaurant that came highly recommended from Twitter peeps and enjoyed a great meal. After dinner we went back to the hotel to let Kingston out and then changed into our bathing suits and went to spend some time at the hot springs. On our way into town we had noticed a sign pointing the way to Doc Holladay's grave. Part of the fun when visiting new places is discovering small, random points of interest so on our way out of town the next morning we decided to stop. It ended up being a 1/2 mile hike to the cemetery and once we found his grave we were a bit disappointed to find out the grave is just a marker and no one is sure exactly where is body is. Too funny. But that hasn't stopped people from adorning his tombstone with fake mustaches, poker chips and mini bottles.

When we got home we exchanged gifts with each other. I have always thought it would be fun to follow the traditional anniversary gifts, which meant this year's gift had to do with paper. Matt bought me "The Grimmerie," which for those who don't know is a fantastic book all about the musical, Wicked. I've been coveting wanting it for some time. Good job, Matt! In return I bought Matt a great travel book on the Tour de France. Our first year has been full of many fun times and I look forward to many, many more.

3 comments:

Misty Moncur said...

So sickly cute. Ugh.

Kristin Sokol said...

On our first anniversary the hotel booked our reservation for the night before, so when we showed up on the right day they had charged us for the night before and wouldn't give us a room for that night. They accused me of getting my days mixed up. I said, "Really, you think I messed up? You think I forgot my own anniversay and booked a room for the night before? Or do you think you mixed up the days." It was a mess. We stayed somewhere else and had a great time anyway. Plus I got to see Steve shout at someone, that's the only time in our marriage I have ever seen this occurance.

Daisie said...

What a fun trip! Any trip would be a blast with you along! Happy Anniversary! I am so happy for you! And I am THRILLED you called the other day! I do think of you often and am mad I don't call more often! It has been a crazy week and my family is flying in today, for 2 weeks!! So...know that I love you and I will be calling you to chat it up in 2 weeks!! And the plan is to come for Christmas, so we will forsure make plans ahead of time to be hanging out in person!! Love ya!